Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Angel



I can't remember if I've mentioned it, but I'm a HUGE Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. I can't remember when I started watching it, but I've seen every episode multiple time. Show me any scene and I can probably tell you what episode its from and what happens next. It's my comfort blanket. If I had a rough day at classes, it's not unusual for me to pop in a Buffy episode to watch to make me feel better.

With all my love for Buffy, I had not gotten around to watching it's spin-off show Angel until recently. To be honest I hadn't been particularly interested in it – Angel was probably one of my least favorite characters. So why would I want to watch an entire show about him? After some bothering from my boyfriend to watch it, as well as being promised that Spike shows up in later, I decided to just buckle down and watch Angel.

So for those of you who don't know, Angel is a sort of freelance investigation show. After leaving Buffy at the end of Season 3, the vampire with a soul Angel made his way to Los Angeles to start fresh. There he starts up a business where he “Helps the Helpless”. Pretty simple premise, Angel goes out at night to save the people of the city from the monsters who go bump in the night.

Even after watching all of the series, I gotta say I'm still not a fan of Angel. I know so much about the vampire, but I still feel like he has not depth to him. To me, he's just a character whose purpose in life is to act as a plot device. I felt that the real stars of the show were Angel's friends he acquired along the way. Doyle, Charles Gunn, Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, Lorne, Winifred 'Fred' Burkle, Spike. All of these characters were so heart warming or fascinating in their own way. To be honest any of these characters could be given their own show and I'd jump to watching it immediately.

I actually found the series pretty enjoyable. The monsters were like the ones I loved to watch in Buffy. There were relationships and character development that I loved to watch and I never really felt like the series dragged anywhere. I'm pretty glad I watched it.

However I still think Angel is dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment