Friday, October 14, 2011

Day Twenty-Six: Cloverfield

Day Twenty-Six: A movie that you love but everyone else hates
This is a movie that you either love or hate. Although most of the hate is because people got queasy from all the shakey cam. I loved this movie. I'm into a good monster movie and I could definitely see where JJ Abrams was trying to go with it - Godzilla for America. King Kong isn't really a monster, he's just a sad monkey who wants to go home, so I personally don't really count King Kong. Obviously, Cloverfield didn't really gain the same popularity of Godzilla, or King Kong for that matter.

Cloverfield centers on a small group of people as New York gets attacked and destroyed by a monster. That's all there is to it really - it's just a straight up monster movie. Things blow up, buildings get destroyed, there's chaos everywhere. Just a bunch of good ol' monster madness.

I'm not afraid to admit that the main reason I love this movie is because I got sucked into the viral marketing. In case you don't know, 6 months before Cloverfield came out, it's teaser trailer was shown before Transformers. I was sold instantly. It didn't even show the title for the movie. Then I went home to google it, and was introduced to the wonders of viral marketing. From that point on, I was constantly looking for newly released Cloverfield related material. I had screenshots on my computer from the trailer where I though you could see the monster, I joined discussions about what the monster could be, and I spent hours on the main site trying to find clues to anything and everything. I could tell you the entire back story of every main character in the movie along with where the monster came from and everything. I even have a Slusho shirt. Don't judge me for my obsessions. Almost every waking hour of 6 months of my life was dedicated to Cloverfield. After all of that time and effort spent into it, it was practically impossible to not like the movie since I also knew all the back story that they didn't tell you in the movie - which by the way made all of us who were deep in the viral marketing feel awfully special.

Anyways, I don't care if you don't like Cloverfield. It's oddly nostalgic for me and I'm not afraid to get all up in the Cloverfield action.

No comments:

Post a Comment