Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day Nine: Harry Potter

Day Nine: A movie with the best soundtrack



Okay, This is not the 'best' soundtrack. Not by a long shot. Also up for the running was Juno. I'm all about the dorky indie music, and Juno has indie coming out of the wazoo. If you haven't listened to the song Treehugger by Antsy Pants and Kimya Dawson from the movies album yet, then you have to - it's such a happy song. Scratch that, I'll just put it up here because of how happy and fun it is:
Anyways, my reasoning for choosing Harry Potter is because it's been a huge part of my life. The music for this movie has been with me through the best and worst times of my life. Even today, in anticipation of writing this blog, I found myself humming along. Also I can play the crap outta the song on the clarinet (I play the clarinet like a Boss. And by that I mean I'm pretty good and proud of what I can play. Which includes Hedwig's Theme. Ya know the one, the main song you hear).

I suppose best is subjective. Sure it may not be the critically best soundtrack, but it hits home with me. Something about the music is welcoming and familiar, and that's good enough for me to be considered the 'best'.
On a slightly related note, have you heard the song from Requiem for a Dream? Even if you haven't seen the movie, I guarantee you've heard the song. So many trailers and movies use it that it must be some inside Hollywood joke at this point. I admit, I do a little rage every time I see a trailer use it. The entire soundtrack for Jumper (that was a bad movie) was the Requiem for a Dream song, throughout the entire movie. Rage.
This is the song, actually called Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell:
 
An example of a movie trailer that uses it (one of many):
 
Even my homeboy Lord of the Rings uses it. However to give them a little slack, they re-orchestrated it with a choir and full orchestra, then renamed it as 'Requiem for a Tower'. So punny:

If you haven't noticed, I just found out how to put videos on the site. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment