Friday, September 16, 2011

Day One: Super 8

To kick off the site, I'm doing a 30 Days Of Movies .. thing. That way I'll have 30 things already set up to talk about, then I'll get into the swing of things and continue to post after the month is up. Without further ado, let's get this party started.

Day One: The best movie you saw during the last year




I went to see this movie on a whim, although none of the trailers impressed me and even the promise of J.J. Abrams didn't seem to convince me. To be completely honest, that might have been because of the incredibly disappointing viral marketing they used for it, I was promised Cloverfield-esque viral marketing and all I got was a sad excuse. (Seriously J.J .Abrams, how could Cloverfield's viral marketing be so spectacular and then Super 8's so meager and sad?)

Anyways, back to the movie and not about how disappointing the viral marketing was. ...Okay, I maybe still be a bit bitter about that. Right, so we went to the movie, sat down in the completely empty movie theater and I had my mind blown. This movie wasn't an alien movie. This movie was a look into people, namely children, and their reactions to change and chaos. Yes there was an alien, but that wasn't the most important part of the movie, it was a side character.

The movie is about a group of kids who go out to film a movie for a festival they want to enter. When a scene takes place at a train station and a train starts to arrive while filming, the kids think it's awesome – now their movie will be more realistic. Then the train derails, which is possible the coolest scene I've ever watched. The biggest problem was something was on that train, something that got loose and invaded the city. The military comes in, people went missing, strange things happened. In the middle of it all are the kids, trying to continue their movie despite the chaos starting around them.

Of the year, I definitely say this movie was my favorite. I was just blown away by how good it was and I'll most definitely be buying it when it comes out on DVD. Super 8 satisfied my inner Monster Lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment