Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day Twelve: Legion of Fire: Killer Ants!

Day Twelve: A movie you hate

Don't get me wrong, I love bad movies. We make movie nights out of movies that are so bad they are good: Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, Troll 2, The Skeleton Man, Sleepwalkers. Love them. And by the title of this movie you'd probably think this movie fall into that category - usually anything with an exclamation point in the title is delightfully bad. 

To be honest, I don't remember this movie very well. I'm going to have to tap into my 7 year old self's memory for this one. I went to stay with my grandparents when I was 7 or 8 for maybe 2 weeks, which was super exciting since it was just me. No mom or dad or sister, just me and my grandparents who I rarely got to see since they live in Wisconsin whereas I live in Pennsylvania. My cousin who was a year old than me came over to spend the night and we decided to watch TV. To add to the excitement it was past 8, which was my definite bedtime at home, can you say living on the edge? A movie came on TV which we decided to watch for.. some reason or another. Boy did I end up regretting that.

It opened in some small town with a kid playing on a really really tall and narrow mound. Then he crashed through the mound which you find out is actually an anthill that's home to some rare South American Ants that ate people. So of course this kid was eaten clean to the bone. From there it went down hill, the town got swarmed by these ants and everyone was getting eaten - the town was in panic. At the heart of it all was I think an expert of something, probably bugs or ants. He had a group of people with him, and they went in search of the Queen Ant to kill, which I guess would cause all the other ants to go away. Or something.

It sounds funny and all, but let me share something with you - I'm terrified of horror movies. I'm fine with thrillers and gory movies, but the minute they branch into horror [ghosts, possessions, pretty much anything I can't fend myself again I suppose] then I just can't handle it. This movie is the entire cause of it I think. I had nightmares for weeks and weeks. I forced my sister who had just moved into her own room to share a room with me again. I couldn't even tell myself I safe on the top bunk of our bunk bed by theorizing they couldn't climb ladders cause the movie specifically showed some guy try something like that only for the ants to climb the ladder and eat him alive. I guess you could say I was traumatized.

To be honest I'm afraid to re-watch it to see if it's still scary or just funny - even thinking about it makes me antsy [see what I did there? Antsy? And I'm talking about Ants. So punny.]. Regardless of the quality of the movie, I still think I would hate it. This movie cause me so much trouble over my life, I spent most of my nights hiding under my covers since, you know, covers shield you from everything at night.

Ps: In case you're wondering, I actually couldn't even find a poster for this movie. That's the picture they have on imdb and when I googled imaged for it nothing came up but that picture. I didn't even know the name of the movie until I googled the plot about 10 minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment