Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day Seven: Oldboy

Day Seven: The most surprising plot twist or ending


Oh gosh this movie. Oldboy has about 3 plot twists and/or surprise endings. The movie has you on the edge of your seat from the very beginning with this deep seeded need to find out why everything was happening.

One day Dai-su is kidnapped from a phone booth and wakes up in a shabby little room. There he is kept for 15 years without any clue who locked him up or even why. When one day he is finally freed, he sets out to find out why and get revenge for all those years lost from his wife and daughter that are now gone from his life forever. Once out in the town, he meets a woman named Mido who takes pity on him and decides to help him out, in which Dai-su gladly accepts after so much isolation.

This movie is such a mind trip, I was captivated. When the movie ended, I'm pretty sure I just sat there, since I needed my brain to catch up with everything that was going on. I recently found out that Oldboy is part of a series called the Vengeance Trilogy, which are three movies that have same themes opposed to being connected by plot or characters. The Trilogy goes Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, then Sympathy for Ms. Vengeance. I'm excited to watch the other two who has, from what I understand, an equally plot twist-y ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment